Tuesday, August 5, 2014

What Was I Thinking When I Brought Madigan Home?

I, for the most part, consider myself a reasonably rational, moderately prudent woman. I have after all lived nearly eighty years, with a minimum of health issues (from sensible living), a scarcity of economic and social problems (from the same sensible living). So the problem?

When my beloved Petro died, and I wanted a new dog,  my sensibilities told me I should look for an old dog -- an old dog for an old woman. A sensible plan born of careful analysis of my situation. And I most likely would have done just that -- Most likely had not a pathetic, underweight, seemingly shy young beagle-terrier mix not stolen my heart. It was not that he was more handsome than other dogs at the animal shelter. Nor was he the friendliest. His appeal was that he needed me. He needed someone to care for him, to love him and more importantly to save him from the 'Kill List'. I could not let that happen to this little fellow.

When I walked him on Monday I learned of this fate. When I re-visited him on Tuesday my heart wept. On Wednesday I went again for one more look. But this time with leash and collar in my pocket. Duh!!

So I have a rabbit obsessed, not yet two year old dog.  His antics are more than an old woman would sensibly take on. But I cannot imagine my house, my life without him, without his running full speed from window to window for a sight of rabbits, without nose prints on every window. It is unimaginable. For this is a love affair which an old woman could never have anticipated.

No comments:

Post a Comment