Friday, August 8, 2014

Madigan the Peacemaker

For reasons which need not be explored here, the relationship of my now deceased husband and me with our nearest neighbors has had its testy moments. So testy, in fact, that although  they are within calling distance we have had no contact for nearly three years.

Then enter Madigan the Peacemaker.

One of his recent rabbit chasing escapades lasted a worrisomely long time. When with dejected spirit I was ready to give up my calling and looking and calling and looking, a voice came through the trees separating my yard from the neighbors.

"What does your dog look like?"

My description elicited "He's over here. What's his name?"

"Madigan."

"Does he come when called?"

Honestly I said, "If he feels like it."

With Madigan leashed I repeatedly thanked her. "And we got off to a bad start."

"What's past is past."

All the while Madigan is tugging as his leash with a force Alaska's sled drivers would envy. Two rabbits are crossing my lawn.


No comments:

Post a Comment