Saturday, August 2, 2014

Is It True Beagles Are Untrainable?

There are easily trained dogs. And there are not so easily trained dogs. Everybody knows that. I once had a black lab who resisted all efforts of any training. I was forced to part with him, whom I am given to understand is happily installed on a large farm.

A recent report, in multiple media, asserts that beagles as a breed firmly fall into the second category. A report that gave me pause.

My Madigan, rescued from the County Animal Shelter because he stole my heart, labeled as a Beagle-Mix, is clearly more 'Beagle' than 'Mix'. Is he un-trainable? Is he possibly a candidate for the invisible fence? 'Not likely' I hear more often than 'maybe', and certainly less often 'possibly'.

But I am not easily deterred by unfavorable odds. As is my habit I dauntlessly press on with the notion than I can train Madigan. First things first----(1) Find and check out the collar left by my dearly departed Petro who wore it as a badge of service for so many years. (2)  Relocate and mark with those lovely little white flags the fence boundary.

Likely there is some modern efficient way tool for this, but I use the only way I know. Foot by foot I carry the collar along the likely boundary, and as it beeps telling me 'here' I plant a white warning flag. This is not a ten minute task; it is not even a two hour task.  It consumes the better part of an afternoon.

Everything in order. Collar operable-- fence functional-- trainer determined-- dog nonchalant. I begin
the 'perimeter walk', ready with my 'back' command practiced for authority. Is Madigan interested? Not in the least. He approaches the boundary only when I practically drag him to it. The 'doggie god' must be on duty for this day not one rabbit is in view luring him to the edges of the boundary.

This does not promise to be a quick fix to dog control. Most likely many of Madigan's escapades will be reported before any success in boundary training success.

No comments:

Post a Comment