Saturday, August 16, 2014

Houdini Is An Understatement.

Outside my house is a big fenced area which in years before my husband's illness was a big vegetable garden. Alas the two years he battled leukemia and the two years since his death it had lain fallow. Except for that first year when I not too successfully tried to grow wild flowers.

This fence,  a sturdy chain link, with a durable double gate seemed the perfect place from my Madigan to romp. To date no other restraint has worked. (See previous blogs)

I left my Madigan in his big playpen. He ran, stopped, sniffed and ran, stopped and sniffed. In doggy heaven with the smells of rabbits and other wild creatures.  I began to mow my lawn which had responded gloriously to the recent five inches of rain. One round of the lawn, back to the garden I found the gate open. Madigan was nowhere to be seen.

Fortunately after so many escapes he has learned his way home. He returned some time later, out of breath, jumping on me as if he had not seen me for the whole day. How can you not love a dog who so obviously loves you the way he loves me? But we are in the midst of a battle.  A plan for keeping my Houdini dog home is back on the drawing board.

No comments:

Post a Comment