Wednesday, September 7, 2016

SAVED BY UNDERSTANDING AND ACCEPTANCE


This memory has undergone many re-evaluations over the past few years.  Hurt- anger- resentment and finally understanding. I shall try to explain.

Paul was in the second year of his treatment, doing his second long term hospitalization in Wake Forest Hospital in Winston Salem, North Carolina.  He there, alone at meal time, at night.  Me home, alone at meal time, at night. Except for those one night weekend visits.

My sister, a devoted evangelical Christian, in an effort to be supportive and sympathetic called me frequently.  It filled the lonely evenings when television or reading did not seem to help.

Then that one night. I was feeling  particularly lonely and vulnerable.  She talked- she listened. Then she asked, “Jewell, let me ask you. Has Paul ever been saved?”

Anger, frustration, hurt born of my own youthful  disastrous ‘getting saved’ experience sprang to the surface. “He’s not lost”, I said.  She was silent. “He’s dying and so far nobody seems to be able to save him.”

I hung up and began to sob.


It has been nearly four years since that hurtful exchange. I have come to terms with my own hostility to the pain I suffered in that ‘getting saved’ experience.  I have come to accept that my sister wanted only to be helpful. Today we are more accepting of each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment