Friday, September 2, 2016

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S BUTTER



Paul had firm ideas about the advantages of oleo over unhealthy butter. Besides oleo tasted better. So it was through our long marriage.

Chemotherapy or leukemia itself or both took its toll on his taste buds. One of the casualties was oleo. “We need to find a new oleo,” he announced, “this one has a funny taste.”

Thus began what was to be either a comedic or a boring routine. Each new oleo was greeted with, “I thought you were going to get a new oleo.”

“I did.”

“It doesn’t taste like it. This one tastes off.”

Change- tastes wrong- change. Until I made a bold decision. I bought butter.

Then came the test. He spread his favorite blueberry muffin with the latest ‘new oleo’. After his  first bite he sighed contentedly and said, “Finally an oleo that tastes right.”


He died never knowing he was eating unhealthy ‘doesn’t taste right’ oleo.

No comments:

Post a Comment