Sunday, November 16, 2014

Rear to Rear with Daddy's Horse Solomon



14. We were Methodists.  Our whole family was Methodists – mostly I’m sure because it was the closest church. Closest did not mean next door, but several miles away. Our transportation on the best days was the wagon pulled by Solomon and Ted.  On worst days on horseback – the same Solomon and Ted. 
Mommie rode Ted with Arville sitting in front  of her.  Daddy rode Solomon with Ivy in front of him. I sat behind him with my arms around his waist.  Between my rear and Solomon’s rear was nothing but my dress and bloomers. On cool days there was no problem. But the hot days – those hot days were undoubtedly the seeds of my hostility toward church.

Imagine climbing down off the big horse’s rear end to find your dress and bloomers wet with the combined  horse and girl sweat. Once Grandma Neely said it looked like I had pissed in my bloomers. The big kids laughed; I cried. Seeds of hostility toward horses, pique concerning Grandma Neely, resentment toward the church were well tended.

No comments:

Post a Comment