Sunday, November 2, 2014

A Brand New House With A Brand New View



6. We moved.  We left the little four room house, just up the road from Grandma Cardwell,  just down the road from Uncle Luther’s store, across the road from Mr. Widner, the same Mr Widner who shot my chicken. We moved to the Basin. Why it was called the Basin is a mystery never explained to my satisfaction. For it was on the top of hill with a majestic  vista. The house was mansion- like. I realize this is questionable to someone from someplace more elegant than our little community. But to me and my folks it was a mansion. 
A front porch running the width of the house opened into the front room with a large fire place. To the right was a small bedroom. From the front room was a dining room with double windows looking out into the woods.  To the right was a second bedroom which I shared with Ivy. From the dining room a kitchen and to the right a screened in porch.  How great it was. The outhouse, chicken house and smokehouse were just off the back porch.  Farther away was the barn and beyond the barn a field so high it looked down on a vast expanse. That expanse was so memorable that when I re-visited it as a thirty five year old, after having been away for  longer than I like to remember I remembered the grandeur. My memories of living in the Basin I will begin to record.

No comments:

Post a Comment