Wednesday, July 10, 2013

When Is Poetry Original?

   Julia rarely knows when to keep her silence. Today was the typical day.
   "Your attempts at poetry - I read your poems. The ones in your last blogs."  Her voice permeated what I wanted to be my silence. "Your attempts at poetry are pathetic. How trite and unoriginal can one get?"
   Had I been in full control of my emotions I might have dismissed her crass remarks. But I was not in control of my emotions. The bulk of the day I had spent with boxes and trash bags. The sorting of what to toss, what to donate, what to keep was a major issue. Culling one's own possessions is one thing-- not easy to be sure--, but removing the possessions of a newly dead mate is quite another matter.
   How dare Julia call my attempts at poetry trite and unoriginal? How dare she?
   "Tell me, your Highness-- if one in exile deserves that title-- can you do better? Did you do better? How long were you exiled before you begin to write poetry? And what did you write? May I quote. It is a matter of record you know in the story of your life, THE EMPEROR'S DAUGHTER.  Your poem I believe--
                     
                      My fair face is lined with age
                      My black hair bespeckled white
                               But I am here
                               What can I do?
                          My life cannot be redone
                            nor can it waste away.

   "And what is wrong with that?"
   "Absolutely nothing. It's classic. Absolutely classic. May I quote?
                           
                              All my flesh is wrinkled with age
                              My black hair has faded to white
                              My legs can no longer carry me,
                                  once nimble like a fawn's
                                      But what can I do?
                                     It cannot be undone.

Sappho's I believe. Tell me, Julia, just how original was your lyrics?
   Uncharacteristically Julia was at a loss for words. I felt none of the pleasure I expected.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment