Wednesday, April 3, 2013

LOVE AND MARRIAGE

   "Something has come to my attention," Julia's voice pierced my distraught thoughts. For I was caught up in feeling sorry for myself. My husband was worse. His battle with leukemia  had been long and difficult. The leukemia was winning. I neither needed nor wanted Julia's intrusion. But as, by now if you have read this blog, you must know that Julia is not to be put off.
   "For Tinea's sake,' Tanaquil said, "let's leave poor Jewellee to her thoughts."
   "Nonsense," Julia said. "She needs us us now as she never has. We are a distraction. And trust me, I do know. There are times when distractions, serious or trivial, should be embraced. Had anyone of you suffered the horrors of exile you would know wherein I speak. Now about what's come to my attention. This drivel - and I can only think of it as drivel- about same sex marriage. What in Hades is going on?"
   "A movement", I said, "in equal and fair treatment of all people.'
   "And that has what to have with marriage/"
   "It's a right-- like any other right. Everyone should have the right to marry whom he or she chooses. Anyone-- whatever religion, race or sex."
   "And you believe this?" Julia sighed deeply. "Of course you do. But lest you forget it, your notion is but a reflection of your upbringing, your culture and your religion. Nothing more. Consider for a moment your own analysis when you step outside your narrow world. I give you one of your stories. And when we have considered this, if need be,  I have two more to offer.  But here is the first.  A scene from your own WHEN EAGLES SOARED.

From Chapter V.


            Tanaquil stood before the temple of Tinia which was the official residence of the chief haruspex.  She had known Tarquitius all her life and felt no qualms about visiting him -- albeit unannounced.  When a gentle knock on the door got no response she pushed open the door and peered inside.  The door leading up to the tower for observing the heavens was ajar.
            No one climbed those stairs -- no one but the priests and acolytes.  And Tanaquil qualified as neither by virtue of her age and more importantly her sex.  Wondering what to do to attract his attention she stood at the foot of the steps.  Tarquitius, as if weightless for she heard nothing and invisible for she saw nothing, appeared before her. She started.
            "Tanaquil, how nice to see you."
            Unable to conjure up a response she stood silent and motionless.  Tarquitius' smile was warm and assuring.  "How nice you've come to see me.  Not many people do, especially the young.  Not unless they have need of me.  So you're all the more welcome. I must say you're looking very grown up-- nearly a woman I would say."
            A wave of shame and uncertainly swept over Tanaquil, and she would have run headlong from the temple had his extended hand not grasped her own.  "Tell me, my dear, how can I help you?  I find it difficult to imagine you  just wandered in here because you had nothing better to do."
            His gentle touch, his warm eyes, his calm smile reassured her.  Lowering her face she blurted more than said, "Why do people hate the Greeks?"
            Tarquitius put his hand under her chin, lifted her face and looked directly into her eyes moist with what would become tears if not dealt with immediately. "The Greeks?  Do you really mean the Greeks? All the Greeks?  Or some Greek in particular?  Demaratus perhaps?  Or more precisely that son of his,  young Lucumo?"
            She slapped at his hand.  The urge to cry passed. She glared at him and said more calmly than she felt, "So.  You know.   Mother or Father has been talking to you.”
            ""Talking to me about what?  That you have designs on Lucumo? They've said nothing, at least to me.  No words from anyone are needed on that matter. The whole city knows. You follow him around like a wounded puppy seeking a master."  Tarquitius turned his back to her.  He fumbled at papers on his desk, still not looking at Tanaquil.
            Unable to bear the silence she said, "I don't see why people hate them so much. I am going to marry him."
            "So I've surmised, " he said.  "And have you stopped to think this out?  You know a successful marriage involves much more than a fuzzy feeling in the stomach and a thumping in the chest. You can achieve both those feelings by jumping from a high cliff into a lake.  Marriage is a serious matter. Have you considered the consequences?"
            "What consequences?"
            Tarquitius who had just sat down at his desk rose.  From the shelf behind his desk he took a scroll.  While she looked on he rolled the scroll until he found what he was looking for.  "Here", he said handing the scroll to her.  "Look at this.  And don't pretend you can't read it.  I know you can."
            "What is it?"
            "The marriage registry. This section contains marriages of citizens to aliens"
            "I really don't care."  He frowned. "And why should I care?"
            "Oh you care.  Or you should.  And you know why?  You think you want to marry Lucumo.  If you do, you will end up like Laurentia or Clestia and numerous others.  Look at the list.  You will, like them. be destined to live the rest of your life in Graviscae."
            "But Graviscae is nice.  We go there often to shop.  The villas are big and  wonderful. Some of them are bigger than any house in the city."
            Tarquitius thrust the scroll into her hands. "Here take it, look at the list.  Read the names.  Who are they?  But you are right about one thing.  Why should you care who's on the list.  If I may be so callous who else in the city cares who they are? Now tell me if you truly want to end up on this list."
            Tanaquil tossed her head from side to side, a habit she developed in childhood when flipping her braids around her head was considered cute.  "And  the hair flipping will not prevent it.  If you marry young Lucumo you will jeopardize your position."  He hesitated before he added, "To say nothing about your family's position.  Now do you really want that?"
            "But that is not right."
            "Right or not, that's the way things are.  Now Tanaquil, you are a clever girl.  I have often remarked to your father that I was sorry you were a girl.  You would have made a fine student. You're quick and you're perceptive.  You know perfectly well what I am saying to you is reality.  Marrying Lucumo can lead to no good.  If you do marry him,  all too soon after you've committed yourself,  you will be sorry and want out.  Nothing you or I can do will make it all right."
            "And just what will make it all right?"
            "Nothing short of a sign from the gods.  But my dear, that is not likely to happen.  Why must you have this particular young man?  There are so many other others, all of whom are so much more acceptable. I personally know of a half dozen who would marry you tomorrow and without dowry if necessary."  He reached out and gingerly touched her arm.  "Why Lucumo?"
            She met his gaze.  "Because he is destined to be great."  She wished she had some believable reason other than her desire to have him.  "I know, I just know he will be great."  She lowered her head but could feel his eyes on her.  She said softly, "Besides he makes me feel like a queen.  I cannot bear not marrying him.  Please, talk to father. You can make him understand.  If anyone can make him agree, I know you can."
            "Nothing I can say or do will matter. Nothing short of an omen from the gods will make your father understand."
            "Then," she said.  "I shall wait for an omen."

   Julia smiled derisively. I think I may have the enigmatic smile of the Etruscans of which you, dear Tanaquil, are a member. But you Jewellee -- chew on your own words. Tomorrow or next week I shall give you another example.
















No comments:

Post a Comment