Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Time To Heal

   My husband died six days ago after a two year battle with leukemia. My consciousness trespassing friends prowled around the edge of my thoughts, but they have remained non-obtrusive. No doubt it has been hardest for Augustus' spoiled daughter, Julia. She lacks the self discipline of Queen Tanaquil or Cartimandua.            
   They have all, for the most part, been tolerant of my hopscotching thoughts. It is staggering how many details have to be handled, how many contacts have to be made. Social security-- state retirement-- insurance -- bank-- and on and on. The hardest part, or perhaps the kindest, is the endless hours spent the following: 'The next available representative will be with you.' 'Your call will be dealt with in the order it was received.' 'We appreciate your patience.' 'The approximate waiting time is 14 minutes.' This menu in on a circular, never ending track.
   My Ladies, aware of my fatigue and vexation, wait patiently. Nearly.  Julia felt the need to make her presence known, either for her sake or for mine.  "I have never seen such convolution. How can it be so demanding. Ye Gods, I lost  two husbands. People die every day."
   I welcomed the ludicrous distraction. "You conveniently forget who I am in reference to you. I dare say if I were Jill Biden or Michelle Obama I would be spared the problems of endless bureaucracy. Rather all the resources of the government would cut through the petty details with dispatch."
   "For all the annoyance in some ways you are very fortunate," Julia said. "During my time and Tanaquil's -- I'm not sure about Cartimandua-- anyway during my time, people not of station were in worse shape than you. There were no funds like your social security or retirement plans. If you were born poor, you were likely to be poor your whole life with no recourse. Your bureaucratic morass has a silver lining."
   I began to laugh. "True and not true. Once in this country one could climb from the lowest pits up the economic and social ladder from sheer determination and effort. It's a bit harder today, and it gets harder by the day."
   My ringing telephone dragged me from my fete of revelry. The insurance representative was ready for a telephone interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment