Sunday, October 29, 2017

JANICE IS CALLED ON FOR HELP


Janice sat at her dining room table, working the newspaper daily crossword puzzle. She used to do the puzzle with Charlie. She sat to Charlie’s right because he was left handed and she right handed. It made for a good working situation.

The phone rang! Earlier than acceptable to a retired person. Not that it mattered to Janice. Few days went by that her two dogs let her sleep past daybreak.

“Hello,” she said holding the phone in one hand and a cup of dog food in the other.

“Janice, I hope I didn’t get you up. Carolyn here.”

“No the dogs did that.”

“I have sad news. Mazie said I should call you. Jared dies last night.”

Janice knew Jared was not well, but dead. “How? I thought he was on the --” She hesitated. “I guess we knew it was inevitable but not just now. How is Ellen?”

“That’s why I called. I think she would use a visit from you.”

"Why me? What can I say?” Silence. “And to be honest, Carolyn, I don’t need this.”

“Neither does Ellen.” Silence. “Janice you’ve been there. She needs you.”

Ellen needed her. Where was Ellen and the others when she needed them? Now she was to drop whatever she was doing and help Ellen.


v

No comments:

Post a Comment