Thursday, October 19, 2017

I Am Taking On A new Challenge. The introduction follows.

OLD PEOPLE

Janice was at loose ends with her life. Recovering from Charlie’s death was still a project in process. Or so she kept telling herself. Addiction to e-mail, Facebook and texting kept her hours and days occupied. Then came the brutal challenge from a long time, long distance friend.

Mazie called-- late one Tuesday night. Janice, annoyed at the late hour call, would have not answered anyone but Mazie. “Mazie, do you have any idea what time it is?”

“Yes I do. I am not yet senile.”

Silence
Finally Janice asked, “Something wrong?”

“Nothing with me. You I am not sure.”

Silence
“Meaning just what?”

“Really. You have to ask? All you do, Janice, is piss and moan. And to be honest we’re all sick of it.”

“Well bully for you. Do I need to remind you you still have a husband? If so consider yourself reminded. Now cut the flack and give me a little slack.”

“Slack? You act like you’re dead too. For God’s sake you’re only sixty-- sixty what? One or two? Not that it matters. What matters is that you get off your pity party and get on with your life.”
Silence

“And do exactly what?”
Silence

“Whatever the hell you want to do. You always said you wanted to write. And if I remember you used to paint. So write or paint.”

Janice wanted to hang up. Mazie asked , “Have you heard anything from the Comers lately?”

Taken aback from the swift shift Janice said, “No. Why?”

“I was reminded of them last week when I ran into someone who used to know them. I remember the last time I saw Julie-- you remember-- at Marge’s funeral. She was so full of stories about what she and Marge did when they were you ng. She had us in stitches. She is a real character.”

The conversation ended on a high note and Janice was glad she had answered. It was always good to talk to Mazie.

No comments:

Post a Comment