Saturday, September 27, 2014

A Beagle's Got To Run

                          A note from Madigan, a super dog:

The humans in the lives of us dogs are of five types: 1) owners, 2)caregivers, 3) employers, 4) companions, 5) equals and friends.

Of these categories FRIENDS is the hardest for us dogs. For it involves patience, forbearance and tolerance. Or are these all the same? I have just learned it is also the hardest for our humans. This story I share.

My human is a gentle loving patient old woman, who rescued me from the death squad at the local pound. We share a small house, a generous yard, a sofa in the living room, a bed in the bedroom. Always available is good food, fresh water, ready scratches to ears, brushing of my coat, games of fetch, rides in the car. A wonderful life for any dog.

In case you do not know I am a Beagle with a need to explore and a mania for chasing rabbits. I am bold and fearless (check the previous Blog for my brush with the criminal element). Now here is the tale I wish to share.

Today I was compelled to chase a rabbit out of my yard, into the field past my yard, into the woods beyond the field. The tour of sights and smells spurred me on. Describing to you the power of scents works for you humans only if you are under the influence of a mind altering substance. It is  all consuming, overpowering.

I never got too far from home. I kept seeing my human, leash in hand, no doubt treat in her pocket, wandering the field and woods.  Several times we came within touching distance but then I ran full speed away from her to the next mesmerizing scent. Then she was not there.

Once I came near the house, but she was nowhere to be seen.

It was a warm day; I was thirsty; I was burr covered; I was tired. Then I saw her. "Madigan", she said, "Come."

I came. She opened the door, let me into the house, showered me with treats, watched me slake my thirst, brushed away my burrs, scratched my ears as I fell asleep on the sofa beside her. We were so glad to be together. That is friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment