Sunday, September 15, 2013

Tanaquil's Letter to Tarquinius

  Why I get second place no one has explained. But I am second. It has taken me some time to get my thoughts corralled. Lucumo was part of my life from that day I tumbled into his lap at the wrestling matches.
  Mother and Father had given me permission to go alone, without the supervision of the slave whose task was to keep me safe from or for something never explained to me.

   My letter to him who stole and held my heart.

   Lucumo, the day we entered the mud hut, mud mentality of that horrid village called Rome we agreed you would never again be Lucumo. Romans liked to think three impressive names was the way to go. That day you became  Lucius Tarquinius Priscus. We agreed you would never again be called Lucumo. But in my most vulnerable moments you always remained Lucumo, the Greek who never quite measured up to Etruscan standards. But you knew, and I knew you were destined to greatness. It was foretold by the eagle on Mount Janiculum; it was your drive, your vision, your ambition that made you what you were, that made Rome what she became.
   We entered that mud hut village. To the north the Etruscan alliance wielded great power. To the southeast Greek colonies thrived with no decline in sight. To the southwest Phoenicians ruled with little challenge. Rome, that mosquito infested land of backward thinking people was at the mercy of three powers, any one of which might one day control the whole area.
   But you set Rome on the road to greatness unequaled for so long, valued for even longer. You my dear unappreciated Greek alien were a nation builder. Julia, Cartimandua and Jewellee will, if asked, give testimony to your legacy. A legacy that has stretched from our time to Jewellee's.
   I cherish the day you stuck out your foot and toppled me into your life and into a life only princesses can dream of.

No comments:

Post a Comment