Sunday, September 1, 2013

Letters to our Mates

   How does it happen that I, Julia, am coerced into writing the first letter to my dead husband? But I did agree. So here is my letter. First I had a serious decision to make. Since I was married three time, which husband would I address?

I decided.

Here is my choice and my letter.

To Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa
   We both know that few marriages in our age were born of love. The majority were negotiated for economic considerations - for the upper classes economic and political considerations. Never more so than in our marriage. On your part and mine.
   When I was married to Marcellus I was caught up in the passion of young love. I was so sure of my destiny. I would be the wife of the Emperor of Rome -- the First Lady of Rome. The first lady of Rome-- equal to or greater than my step mother, Livia. Marcellus was Augustus's nephew, and lacking other offspring he was destined to succeed him.
   But Marcellus died and with him my dreams. Until you. You were second only to  my father. Augustus may have inherited his position from his uncle Julius Caesar, but it was in great part your military and administrative genius along with your loyalty that catapulted him into the power he had. Therein lies our alliance.
   You needed a secure link to the imperial power. What better way that a marriage connection to Augustus? And who was available but me?
   What better chance did I have to achieve my dream of being First Lady than to be married to you? We met each other's political needs.
   Ours was a complicated relationship. You so much older -- my father's age. You were gone so often and for so long to far flung corners of the Empire. I was alone at home with the children. I, fun seeking, sexually adventurous and restless was not faithful to you. You knew. You, who unlike most other men were never unfaithful to me.
   But my dear Agrippa, amid my rashest moments I knew no one who so calmed my restless spirit, who checked my careless behavior. For all your gruffness-- and we both know you could be gruff-- you made me feel like a  woman, a wife, a mother. Your death was my downfall. Would that you had been allowed to live into real old age. I would have had a different destiny. I would not have have compelled my father to exile me. You may believe that of all the men in my life I truly loved you with a love that surpassed mere sexual passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment