Wednesday, November 15, 2017

JANICE AVAILABLE ON DEMAND


Available on demand.
Available on demand.

Was that what her life was to be?
Had it always been this way?

Before Charlie died she was half of a couple, on a plane with her couple friends. Now she was the ‘available on demand Janice’.

Janice was working herself into a real snit. The phone rang. Mazie. Let it ring. “Janice, Mazie here. Call me when you get in.” Silence. “Please.”

Mazie’s please echoed in her head as did her own ‘call her’, ‘don’t call her’. Call her won.

“Mazie, just got your message. What can I do for you?”

“Janice, can I come over for a short visit. I need to talk to somebody.”

With another demand on her time because Janice was available to help; Janice was available on demand. “Mazie, I just got in. How about tomorrow?”

“It won’t take long. Please.”

* * * *
“Mazie, what is it?” Janice asked the swollen red eyed Mazie.

“Clyde has leukemia.” Sobs replaced further words.

Janice embraced her. “Whatever you need-- I’m here.”


No comments:

Post a Comment