Monday, December 26, 2016

QUIET AND SOMBER NEW YEAR'S EVE



As the year approaches its end, the last New Year’s Eve I spent with Paul surfaces and resurfaces often and vividly – more vividly than it turned out that night. It was barely four months before Paul’s death and we both knew it would be our last together.

Well in advance we bought two champagne glasses and a bottle of champagne for our last New Year’s Eve celebration.  New Year’s Eve we settled in for the wait. He in the rocking chair which in a few weeks would become his day time and night time resting place. I on the sofa with my head resting on the piled up cushions. A little television – a little reading – a little talking- we waited for the proper hour.

Sometime after 2:00 AM we awoke and went to bed.


The champagne I tossed out after two years. The glasses hang on the wine glass rack with the other 18 bought at various times and places during our years together.  Maybe this year I will take them down and toast my memories. More likely I will fall asleep long before midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment