Monday, December 22, 2014

Exceptional Stock.

I have been remiss in writing. But in my defense I have had dual problems. Not only am I getting myself and my beloved dog Madigan adapted to an equally beloved dog, Nora, but a dear couple with whom I have been friends for more years than I can remember is in crash mode. I have tried to be of help.

That being offered as as excuse for not keeping up with my blog, I now return.

I have decided it is time to take stock of my family's strength. Survey of birth records of my grandparents has been eye opening. Survey with me those records and I assure you, you will impressed with their reproductive health.

My Grandma Neely gave birth to nine children between 1905 and 1924 (one every 2.1 years).  A tenth came along in 1930 (what was called then a change of life baby).

And Granny Cardwell gave 6 live births from 1910 to 1924. Calculate that activity, and you will be impressed.

That's pretty damn good stock-- but it's only half of the story. Of those 16 births not one had physical or mental handicaps. We pass over that some of them have minds of their own and they do not always agree with each other. But facts are facts. They were remarkable.  No wonder the Neely-Cardwell alliance was dominant in that small rural community near Tazewell Tennessee.

No comments:

Post a Comment