Saturday, July 19, 2014

Home Again with Madigan

Poor Madigan. He had barely gotten used to his new home (I had barely begun my account of his new life) when he was again confined to an institutional environment. My daughter and I left for a visit to Ireland. During our absence he was safely, and I hope not too unhappily, in the 'Dogie Hotel'.

On my return he happily greeted me with what appeared no ill feeling for leaving him. He was settled in the house which prior to his vacation was freed of the cage, purchased for his confinement when alone in the house. The cage was purchased (on sale) for more than $80.00 with the promise of a safe environment when he was alone in the house. Safe for him or for the house? A question never directly addressed. A mute point as it turned out. Madigan whose middle name has become Houdini was not to be confined. His cleverness at figuring out the door locking apparatus first allowed his escape. Stronger restraints led to his use of sheer -- or should I say brute-- force. A bent door and escape.

So my Madigan is not to be confined. But the  magic the name Houdini suggests abounds. He does no harm when left alone in the house. This is most likely the result of the great honor done him in Ireland. The second day of out stay in Dublin we happened on a Pub named MADIGAN. There he honored the 'left at home' dog with a pint. Our second day we discovered the second Pub Madigan where we felt compelled to honor the dog anew. There is a third Pub Madigan. Had we been in Dublin another day we would have honored him a third day.

Home again: daughter gone home to Alaska: Madigan and I settled in our two man household.
 I talk to him; he listens without comment except for the occasional nuzzle. But he is not always silent. A car in my driveway, a person approaching the house, a ring of the doorbell, all set off a barking-- deep, angry and persistent. I love the protector of this small estate. A pint of Guiness now and again proves that love.

No comments:

Post a Comment