Monday, April 28, 2014

Jake Solved the Murders?


We had split a list of ten suspects up into three lists for investigation. I was not enthusiastic about it. 




                                                         PART 23

I spent most of the day pondering what I had gotten myself into and exactly two minutes looking at my list of six. I needed Calvin. Calvin Harris, the best detective I knew, one I had used as a consultant of many of my books. Where did I have his number? The phone rang. “Yes”, I said curtly.

“Oh you old crab ass.” I could see Jennifer’s  smirky smile. “Are you detecting yet?”

“Nothing beyond staring at the list and wondering what the hell I’m doing. And I’ve changed my mind about the fairness of six-two-two.”

“Doesn’t matter. Toss your list, Jake’s got what we need.”

“Who, what?”

“Not now. I'm pressed for time. Tonight. Ok to come by at seven? And call Mike.  He needs to be there.”

“And tell him what?”

“That Jake’s solved the murders. Both of them. See you at seven.” She hung up.

She hung up. Why did I stay in this – what did my agent call it?- the asshole of the whole civilized world. I was beginning to think she was right. But then she did think there  was a book in this mess.

*                      *                       *                        *
“So give,” I said opening the door to Jake and Jennifer.

“Hello to you too,” Jennifer said. “Mike coming?”

“He said he’d try.”

“Try. Try?” she shouted just as Mike exited his car.  “Mike, Jake’s solved the murder. Both of the murders.”

“So I was given to understand.”

“Harold did it. He killed both of them.” Her enthusiasm elicited smiles from all three of us.

Then Mike shook his head. “You got me out here for this? Jen, I know you’re smitten by detective work—or what you think is detective work. But this is nuts. Pure unadulterated nuts. Harold was not in town when his dear little wife was killed.”

Jake who had been silent said, “It’s possible he did it, Mike. Just hear us out.”
                                                                     
 9999999999999999999999

No comments:

Post a Comment