Wednesday, February 5, 2014

One New Book Is Chucked; Another Born

My life seems to be falling apart. I was the chief  suspect in a murder investigation. My writing was at a dead standstill.




                                                    CONSIDERING MURDER

                                                                  Part 12

Pondering Harold’s possible part in my troubles took a heavy toll on my creative efforts.  I was unable to keep my thoughts focused on my writing. It got so bad that I sat at my table and filled pages with doodles and fancy letters spelling out Amy, Harold, Hayes, pond, court and on and on. It was several such pages that Jennifer saw when she popped in to impart the latest  in her gossip gleaning.

“Can’t concentrate, I see. And I’m not surprised. After all you are at the moment number one on the suspect list in what is likely a murder case.”

“It’s so damnedely frustrating. God knows I wished she would go away and I would never see her again.  But I never considered killing her.  Much less doing it.  And you’re right- the writing is a dismal failure.”

“What is it you’re writing anyway? Or supposed to be writing?”

“Jennifer, I’m a mystery writer. What the Hell do you think I’m trying to write?”

 I realized I was shouting and before I could apologize Jennifer said, “Hey, don’t yell at me. I’m one of the few, if not the only, friend you have around here. Jake may be iffy when chips are down. Let me ask you something, and don’t yell or I’ll leave you here to work this out yourself. And good luck with that.”  

“Okay, Ask away.”

“Why don’t you chuck this mess spread all over the table and filling the trash can there. Write the Amy Hayes mystery.”

“And say what? We don’t know anything.”

“We know more than most people, and it’s all you’re thinking about anyway. A little sleuthing and we can learn more—and more—and more until--. Well until you’re off the hook and you have a story to boot.”

Jennifer left with a promise to share her latest gossip after I showed her my first chapter of what she called  THE AMY HAYES MURDER. I set to work and found the words scooting  from my pencil.




i   

No comments:

Post a Comment