Monday, January 27, 2014

A Pregnant Pause in Investigations

  Connie, Jennifer and Jake need to identify a red corolla seen several times at the Hayes' house.

                                                                    Part 7

Three known red corollas. Four if maroon counted. All easily assigned to friends or relatives. “Get’s us nowhere”, Jennifer said.  “We’re absolutely nowhere but the beginning all over.”

“Not exactly.  Just because we don’t know whose car it is doesn't mean that knowing can’t be done and be helpful.” Jake’s half full mouth of pizza impeded his speech. “You think little Amy was seeing some man on the side?”
“Maybe,” Jennifer said, “but I wouldn't think she’d do it in her own place. And Jake, talking with a mouth full slurs your speech as well as looks gross.”

“Beg your pardon, Madam.” I laughed in spite of my worry at Jake’s puckered lips and bobbing head. “Little Amy isn’t – sorry—wasn’t the swiftest hare in the race. She might not consider that anyone would notice.”

“More beer?” I asked over my shoulder on the way to the refrigerator.

“Yes” came in duet. Then Jake continued, “Seems like a capital idea for a Sunday at noon. The thumpers are just leaving church. We can drink to them.”

“Best we drink to our business here.”  Jennifer’s expression said what we all were feeling.

The knock came at the back door. “Who in the Hell?” I peered out front window to see the red corolla in my driveway. “What the Hell it is—is our red corolla.”

I opened the door to a short balding middle aged man. “Certainly not a probable lover for little  Amy. “I just came from next door, at the Hayes’.  Nobody home. Know where I might reach them?”

Grateful to be rescued  by Jennifer who pushed in from of me, I stepped back and stood next to Jake.

Jennifer without the slightest hesitation asked bluntly, “Who are you and what do you want with them?”

With a weak smile that quickly became a not so weak smirk he said, “Carl Whitlock if that is of any concern to you, and my business is with them, not you.  Else I would have asked for you. Do you have any idea when I might reach them?”

Jennifer looked from Jake to me and back to Jake, who nodded affirmatively. “Well Mr. Whitlock I am sorry if I seemed intrusive and rude. We’re under some stress here. Amy Hayes is dead. Harold is staying with his parents. I can give you directions to their place if you like.”

His white face slowly regained color; his eyes focused on my kitchen clock; he took a deep breath. “When? Where? How?”

Jennifer’s terse account covered the essential details.  He was speechless. “Are you all right?” Jake asked.

“Dead. She’s dead. I can’t believe it.”

“Did you know her well?” Jennifer asked.

“No. No I didn’t. I just met her a few weeks ago. She seemed like a nice little thing. I was doing some carpentry work for them. In my off time. I got sidelined with my regular job. Dead. Guess she won’t need that nursery now.”


“Nursery?” Jennifer said in a whisper. “Oh my God, she was pregnant.”

No comments:

Post a Comment